Skip to main content

Random Dancing & Team Lab

Today I skipped the class event to sleep in with my wonderful roommate Lauren and at around 11pm we left the hotel to begin our day exploring the city. It was very thunder-stormy on our train ride to Shibuya City and I really enjoyed it, we both forgot our umbrellas but I didn’t mind running around in the rain in the city, in fact I had lots of fun doing so. Our first stop was a maid cafe to grab some lunch. I personally found this experience to be so incredibly funny. I guess me and Lauren arrived at a special time because while eating our food the maids randomly broke out into dance and in the background a nerdy looking man who seemed to be a regular at the cafe was in the back going absolutely ham with glow sticks. He was doing tricks with them so hard that he has to rest periodically throughout the song the maid was preforming. After the performance the maid came up to us and asked if we enjoyed the performance, to which I responded “Yes” and that I especially liked the guy in the back, to which the maid responded with “oh yeah that guys an otaku”. Here is a picture of that maid.

After, we explored the streets of Harajuku. Lauren and I found interesting thrift stores that all sorta had a retro hip hop skater fashion vibe to them, one thrift store I was particularly interested in visiting was “Dog”. It’s a thrift store that focuses on modifying vintage clothing often by cutting up different pieces of clothing and sewing them up together. When we finally got there I didn’t end up making any purchases but I enjoyed looking at all of the very unique clothing.  We then continued on towards Takeshita Street and grabbed some food. We ended up picking Dream Station JOL in Harajuku to grab some food. We honestly just picked this area on a whim because it was the only area with a bathroom. As we were eating food in the food court of this place a random boy band that was dressed as dogs came out and began performing choreography and song out nowhere. Again I found it so hilarious that this just keeps happening today. I ending up googling the place we were at and apparently JOL is a hangout spot aimed at young teenage girls and it frequently has boy bands come over and perform. To be honest the bands were really bad but that just made the experience better for me. Heres a picture of some shoes that would get me major street cred.


To end the day we visited Team lab. Team lab was a museum I’ve been looking forward to ever since I came here and I was so happy to go. The main purpose of the museum is to be one with the art and I recommend everyone to go give it a visit. When visiting you must take your shoes off in the museum because there are sections where you’re submerged in knee deep water. Here are some photos from my Visit!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 5 Recap: Shrines, Castles, and Submarines: Only in Osaka

      After getting acclimated to Japan and a few days of classes, we finally had a free day. I started my day the right way by sleeping in. Of course, the fun didn't start until later tonight, as we'll get to that.     Getting a not-so-traditional Japanese breakfast of donuts and coffee with my friends, I met up with my parents at our hotel as they have recently arrived in Osaka. First, we go visit the nearby Namba Jinja shrine. Not to be confused with the more popular Namba Jinja lion shrine, you can learn more about it in my travel guidebook entry. Regardless, we took in the scenery, did a prayer, and my mom gave me a charm for luck. Juxtaposing ancient Japan with not so ancient Italy, we stopped by the nearby Ferrari store to get a picture with the Formula 1 car.     Moving on, my family requested that I show them around Osaka castle, making it my third visit to the beautiful site. We didn't go inside, as we saw the line and decided the outside is fine enough. Every tim

Day 3 Recap: Karaoke and Sushi in Japan

       Since this day was a school day I woke up around 7:30 and ate one of the in-room sandwiches and headed to the train with my roommate Race. There were about 3 hours of boring math lectures but after that, I got to eat curry at lunch which was amazing. I've learned that even though the food here is extreamly diffrent from what we have in America, it is just as good if not better then American food and actually reflects the culture of Japan really well. After our writing lecture, we got to listen to a lecture about the Japanese language. Some of the stuff we learned was how to say please or excuse me, "Sumimasen", let's go, "ikou", and thank you, "Arigato."       Next was the English cafe, for this we met with a bunch of students trying to learn English and spoke with them to help them practice. I talked with a guy who is writing a paper on using enzymes to protect plants from diseases, he wasn't that good at English so it was a little hard