Skip to main content

Random Dancing & Team Lab

Today I skipped the class event to sleep in with my wonderful roommate Lauren and at around 11pm we left the hotel to begin our day exploring the city. It was very thunder-stormy on our train ride to Shibuya City and I really enjoyed it, we both forgot our umbrellas but I didn’t mind running around in the rain in the city, in fact I had lots of fun doing so. Our first stop was a maid cafe to grab some lunch. I personally found this experience to be so incredibly funny. I guess me and Lauren arrived at a special time because while eating our food the maids randomly broke out into dance and in the background a nerdy looking man who seemed to be a regular at the cafe was in the back going absolutely ham with glow sticks. He was doing tricks with them so hard that he has to rest periodically throughout the song the maid was preforming. After the performance the maid came up to us and asked if we enjoyed the performance, to which I responded “Yes” and that I especially liked the guy in the back, to which the maid responded with “oh yeah that guys an otaku”. Here is a picture of that maid.

After, we explored the streets of Harajuku. Lauren and I found interesting thrift stores that all sorta had a retro hip hop skater fashion vibe to them, one thrift store I was particularly interested in visiting was “Dog”. It’s a thrift store that focuses on modifying vintage clothing often by cutting up different pieces of clothing and sewing them up together. When we finally got there I didn’t end up making any purchases but I enjoyed looking at all of the very unique clothing.  We then continued on towards Takeshita Street and grabbed some food. We ended up picking Dream Station JOL in Harajuku to grab some food. We honestly just picked this area on a whim because it was the only area with a bathroom. As we were eating food in the food court of this place a random boy band that was dressed as dogs came out and began performing choreography and song out nowhere. Again I found it so hilarious that this just keeps happening today. I ending up googling the place we were at and apparently JOL is a hangout spot aimed at young teenage girls and it frequently has boy bands come over and perform. To be honest the bands were really bad but that just made the experience better for me. Heres a picture of some shoes that would get me major street cred.


To end the day we visited Team lab. Team lab was a museum I’ve been looking forward to ever since I came here and I was so happy to go. The main purpose of the museum is to be one with the art and I recommend everyone to go give it a visit. When visiting you must take your shoes off in the museum because there are sections where you’re submerged in knee deep water. Here are some photos from my Visit!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 Recap: Exploring Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens

Today I woke up and I went to McDonald’s with my lovely roommate Lauren for breakfast. I wanted to start my day right so I ordered the Mega McMuffin. After eating breakfast the class set off to Kobe. We began our day at Riken where we were educated about the Fugaku, and then we got lunch at the station. I love how the stations here are like fancy malls, its something I really appreciate about Japan, how you can just lollygag around while waiting for your train or waiting to meet up with friends. I spent my free time washing my hands with various fancy soaps at a fragrance store.  Personally, the highlight of my day was visiting Nunobiki Herb garden. I really love gardens and getting to visit one of Japan's largest Herb Gardens was really exciting for me. Our journey began with the Nunobiki Ropeway that gave a panoramic view of Kobe city, the ocean, and the surrounding lush greenery. The ropeway ride in itself was one of my favorite moments of the trip.  Once we got off we were...

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 24- Bastille

Day twenty four of our trip to this country half way around the world. Unfortunately it is almost time for us to leave it all behind. I’ve done most of the things I wanted to do but there are one or two goals I had that will not be possible due to time constraints. These will require a second visit. Today however, I did manage to accomplish one of the most highly anticipated items on my list- Explore the city of Tokyo. I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning, far too early if you ask me, and departed from shin Osaka to Tokyo station. This was not my first time in the city but it would be my first time wandering the streets and actually experiencing the city rather than just passing through. The group decided to break up for lunch after depositing our bags in the hotel. Most went back to the station to eat but I, being the enterprising sort, took to the streets. When I happened upon a rolling sushi location I was delighted. These places had proved to quick and cheap in the past so why...