Skip to main content

Blog 24: The tale of castles and princesses

 

My blog day was the 27th of July. I woke up early that morning and started getting ready at around 7:30. It was the day we were scheduled to go to the famous Himeji castle. So, I met up with the rest of the students at the front lobby on the first floor. There were only a few students there at the time, around 5 or 6, but the rest of them came into the lobby a few moments later. We then went to the train station in Shinsaibashi. Several people got lost on the way, from the trains to the walk over. Then when we made it to the Himiji train station the professors decided that it was time to break for lunch and a few students and I went to an Italian place. At this restaurant I ate a pizza and a bowl of pasta. I enjoyed the pizza however the pasta I ordered ended up being far too spicy for my liking. After that I got a Mint Chocolate ice cream cone from the local Baskin Robbins. After that a small group of students and I headed out to the castle. After a while of walking in the baking sun throughout the town of Hijimei we finally got to the castle.

 

The castle itself was massive and magnificent. It was breathtaking in every single possible meaning of the word. The castle was 152 feet high, a length of 5,600 feet, and a perimeter of 2.6 miles (that’s nearly 14,000 feet!). After getting the ticket to the castle I went inside to the garden, and that area, which was fairly pretty with a bathroom which to me seemed slightly out of place in the breathtaking ancient castle but when you have to go you have to go, I guess. After walking through the gardens and the out of place bathroom I decided to go to the west wing. They made us take off our shoes as soon as we got to the true entrance to the west wing and put them into a bag that we would have to carry around while we were inside the west wing.

 

The west wing told the story of the famous Princess Sen who lived for several years. Princess Sen was born in 1597. She married her first husband when she was only 7 years old. Her husband was only 10. After a failed military mission her husband committed seppuku (Seppuku is the word for ritualistic suicide via disembowelment by a special type of Japanese sword.) A few years later she met her second husband. It was at this time that Princess Sen moved to Himeji castle. After a few years however a terrible illness claimed Princess Sen’s second husband as well. After this Princess Sen left Himeiji and became a nun for the rest of her days. After going through the west wing, I walked up the many steps and walked through the many rooms to get to the main castle area and looked around at the beautiful scenery, after that I was getting hot and tired so I went back to the hotel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 5 Recap: Shrines, Castles, and Submarines: Only in Osaka

      After getting acclimated to Japan and a few days of classes, we finally had a free day. I started my day the right way by sleeping in. Of course, the fun didn't start until later tonight, as we'll get to that.     Getting a not-so-traditional Japanese breakfast of donuts and coffee with my friends, I met up with my parents at our hotel as they have recently arrived in Osaka. First, we go visit the nearby Namba Jinja shrine. Not to be confused with the more popular Namba Jinja lion shrine, you can learn more about it in my travel guidebook entry. Regardless, we took in the scenery, did a prayer, and my mom gave me a charm for luck. Juxtaposing ancient Japan with not so ancient Italy, we stopped by the nearby Ferrari store to get a picture with the Formula 1 car.     Moving on, my family requested that I show them around Osaka castle, making it my third visit to the beautiful site. We didn't go inside, as we saw the line and decided the outside is fine enough. Every tim

Day 3 Recap: Karaoke and Sushi in Japan

       Since this day was a school day I woke up around 7:30 and ate one of the in-room sandwiches and headed to the train with my roommate Race. There were about 3 hours of boring math lectures but after that, I got to eat curry at lunch which was amazing. I've learned that even though the food here is extreamly diffrent from what we have in America, it is just as good if not better then American food and actually reflects the culture of Japan really well. After our writing lecture, we got to listen to a lecture about the Japanese language. Some of the stuff we learned was how to say please or excuse me, "Sumimasen", let's go, "ikou", and thank you, "Arigato."       Next was the English cafe, for this we met with a bunch of students trying to learn English and spoke with them to help them practice. I talked with a guy who is writing a paper on using enzymes to protect plants from diseases, he wasn't that good at English so it was a little hard