Skip to main content

Day 25 - Traveling to Tokyo

 


I woke up bright and early and got ready to head off to Tokyo. We headed to Shin-Osaka station and from there boarded the Shinkansen. The ride was about 2 hours total with some beautiful views throughout. Many of the students gathered on the left side of the train, hoping to catch an excellent photo of Mt. Fuji as we passed by. Eventually, we arrived at Tokyo station, which was a very difficult place to navigate. With many different platforms everywhere, each with countless different lines, Tokyo Station proved much more difficult to navigate then Osaka’s. Eventually, we left the station and headed to the hotel located not to far away.

               Because it was too early to check in, we dropped off some of our bags at the hotel and then went back to the station to get food before the rest of the day’s events. After arriving at the station we went to go find food and ended up at a French Café. I ordered a quiche, French onion soup, and some French Fries, which were pretty good. Unfortunately, we began to get behind on time for reaching the museum that we were going to next. Things got a bit tense between our group and we were pretty frustrated by the time we reached the museum. Fortunately, the lovely museum was a great place to calm the tension. There were many floors with different lovely exhibits that were each a wonder to walk through. Our group began at the aquatics exhibit, which was a nice starting point. We then went to a land nature exhibit full of different plant-life and animal-life that were cool and unique. We next entered a more modern technology exhibit full of different space tech. Many of the ideas demonstrated had some form of physical interaction for us to do, which made the experience even cooler. We ended the stop at the museum with a look at the Jurassic period, which was a pretty neat way to end the tour of the museum.

               After we left the museum, we headed back to the nearby station and grabbed some drinks from the Starbucks there as we were craving something cold to combat the extreme heat in Tokyo that day. We returned to the hotel, checking in before having a little bit of relaxing after a long day in Tokyo. After, getting a bit of rest, a few of decided we wanted to go get tonkatsu. We found a place nearby the station so we decided to head there. I ordered the Pork Katsu, which was very delicious and came with some rice, miso soup, salad, and some other vegetables. Overall, the meal was very cheap for the amount of food we were provided and was excellent overall. We ended the night returning to the hotel for some much needed sleep, excited for the field trip to Nikko the next morning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 Recap: Exploring Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens

Today I woke up and I went to McDonald’s with my lovely roommate Lauren for breakfast. I wanted to start my day right so I ordered the Mega McMuffin. After eating breakfast the class set off to Kobe. We began our day at Riken where we were educated about the Fugaku, and then we got lunch at the station. I love how the stations here are like fancy malls, its something I really appreciate about Japan, how you can just lollygag around while waiting for your train or waiting to meet up with friends. I spent my free time washing my hands with various fancy soaps at a fragrance store.  Personally, the highlight of my day was visiting Nunobiki Herb garden. I really love gardens and getting to visit one of Japan's largest Herb Gardens was really exciting for me. Our journey began with the Nunobiki Ropeway that gave a panoramic view of Kobe city, the ocean, and the surrounding lush greenery. The ropeway ride in itself was one of my favorite moments of the trip.  Once we got off we were...

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 24- Bastille

Day twenty four of our trip to this country half way around the world. Unfortunately it is almost time for us to leave it all behind. I’ve done most of the things I wanted to do but there are one or two goals I had that will not be possible due to time constraints. These will require a second visit. Today however, I did manage to accomplish one of the most highly anticipated items on my list- Explore the city of Tokyo. I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning, far too early if you ask me, and departed from shin Osaka to Tokyo station. This was not my first time in the city but it would be my first time wandering the streets and actually experiencing the city rather than just passing through. The group decided to break up for lunch after depositing our bags in the hotel. Most went back to the station to eat but I, being the enterprising sort, took to the streets. When I happened upon a rolling sushi location I was delighted. These places had proved to quick and cheap in the past so why...