Skip to main content

Day 4 Recap: Osaka Castle

    July 6 started with classes. I woke up early and went caught the subway to Nakamozu from where I continued by foot to Osaka Metropolitan University. I picked up a two-liter water bottle and sandwich from a Seven-Eleven along the way for breakfast and then proceeded to spend two hours in linear algebra (which I feel would be meaningless to elaborate on). Afterwords, I picked up lunch (once again from Seven-Eleven) and then met with the other students and the accompanying faculty members to make our way to Osaka Castle.

    Osaka Castle was built in the late 16th century originally with the purpose of helping stabilize and unify the surrounding region. However, in these more modern times it has become a major Japanese landmark as well as a symbol of times gone by. 

    I came to castle on a somewhat warm day and arrived using the Osaka subway system. The approach to the main tower takes one past two moats, an outer as well as an inner moat. The tower itself stands on top of raised land overlooking the city. It is eight stories tall inside and has been converted into museum.

    The museum portion of the tower covers the building of the tower as well as the wars surrounding it. It doesn't take long to go through, and there are many exhibits that are hard to enjoy unless you speak Japanese. However, the view at the top is stunning and makes it worth seeing. 

    The figure museum is a much smaller attraction, but it is worth seeing if you are going to the castle or are interested in the subject. The has an extensive and varied collection making it enjoyable for everyone. Despite having a large collection, it is worth noting that the museum is only a few rooms, so it takes less than thirty minutes to go through. 

  After seeing Osaka Castle and the figure museum, I decided to head back early due to a flight I had the next day. Unfortunately, I got lost and spent several hours struggling to find my way back which I thankfully eventually did ending my day and this blog post.


Osaka Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 Recap: Exploring Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens

Today I woke up and I went to McDonald’s with my lovely roommate Lauren for breakfast. I wanted to start my day right so I ordered the Mega McMuffin. After eating breakfast the class set off to Kobe. We began our day at Riken where we were educated about the Fugaku, and then we got lunch at the station. I love how the stations here are like fancy malls, its something I really appreciate about Japan, how you can just lollygag around while waiting for your train or waiting to meet up with friends. I spent my free time washing my hands with various fancy soaps at a fragrance store.  Personally, the highlight of my day was visiting Nunobiki Herb garden. I really love gardens and getting to visit one of Japan's largest Herb Gardens was really exciting for me. Our journey began with the Nunobiki Ropeway that gave a panoramic view of Kobe city, the ocean, and the surrounding lush greenery. The ropeway ride in itself was one of my favorite moments of the trip.  Once we got off we were...

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 24- Bastille

Day twenty four of our trip to this country half way around the world. Unfortunately it is almost time for us to leave it all behind. I’ve done most of the things I wanted to do but there are one or two goals I had that will not be possible due to time constraints. These will require a second visit. Today however, I did manage to accomplish one of the most highly anticipated items on my list- Explore the city of Tokyo. I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning, far too early if you ask me, and departed from shin Osaka to Tokyo station. This was not my first time in the city but it would be my first time wandering the streets and actually experiencing the city rather than just passing through. The group decided to break up for lunch after depositing our bags in the hotel. Most went back to the station to eat but I, being the enterprising sort, took to the streets. When I happened upon a rolling sushi location I was delighted. These places had proved to quick and cheap in the past so why...