Skip to main content

Day 6 Recap: Cicadas, Swifts, and Heavenly Dragons: Serenity in Japan

Very few places can encapsulate the essence of a national emotion within a few square kilometers, but not only is Tenryu-Ji is one such place, it does so in the midst of the richly storied city of Kyoto, Japan. The temple rests at the far west of the old capital, opposite of the Oi river from JR station Saga-Arashiyama. 

 

Tenryu-Ji is built on the grounds of an older Heian Period temple known as Danrin-Ji. Howver, it started life as a villa for the Emperor Go-Saga and his wife. It was transformed into a temple in 1339 at the request of the then shogun Ashikaga Takauji, who wished for the area to serve as a commemoration to his former friend, the Emperor Go-Daigo. The emperor had died that same year, as Japan nearly underwent a radical change in its leadership in the previous 148 years. Since then, the temple has undergone its own chaotic journey, as it survived fires across centuries, rebuilding itself as it struggled to maintain its original identity. In the modern day, as it is flanked by seemingly endless shops, nestled together in a vast sea of bamboo punctuated by gardens and cemeteries, many of the buildings that comprise the temple itself were built in the Meiji period, and only a small garden retains the vision of the original builder, Muso Soseki.


When I walked the streets of Kyoto, I remember that as we walked past the massive gate of the temple, my eye caught the words 'UNESCO World Heritage Site.' A voice sprung forth and tucked at my ear, begging to walk in that direction. But, I felt an obligation to my OMU buddies, who wanted to visit the bamboo forest first. The forest was impressive, and I had not known that bamboo can evoke the same memories of hiking the forests back in New England. But, my mind still draws to the temple we visited shortly afterward. And sure enough, when we walked back in the direction of the temple, I dragged my group there.



When you are about ready to get your tickets, you are greeted with the option of exploring either gardens or buildings first. We decided to explore the buildings first, and once we had finally purchased tickets, we had to drop our shoes off at the temple grounds. I was surprised by how pleasant it felt to walk on the old wooden floorboards in my socks. It also helped me feel like I was on a train as I followed the various alcove paths to observe the numerous gardens, plants, and wildlife from the confines of the temple. But by far, the greatest joy I felt was when I happened upon a group of men and women, all of mixed ages, sitting down and taking a calligraphy class together, with their styli and [The feeling of wood underneath your socks, observing the small classroom of men and women, all at differing ages, sitting together writing]  

 

Normally, I am not fond of visiting certain places as they attract a very large crowd of people. I remember catching myself thinking I wanted the space to myself, to take in a beauty, somberness, or whatever emotion I could feel emanate from a scene. Yet here, the chatter of people, speaking Japanese, English, and even a little German, complimented the rolling zipping of cicadas. I was at peace with the heat and humidity of the place, as I watched a swift  dance across the pond and foliage before retreating to behind the shingled roof. I felt I had been blessed with the intrinsic serenity of this country, in that moment as I watched the koi swim in the pond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 16 Recap: Exploring Kobe Nunobiki Herb Gardens

Today I woke up and I went to McDonald’s with my lovely roommate Lauren for breakfast. I wanted to start my day right so I ordered the Mega McMuffin. After eating breakfast the class set off to Kobe. We began our day at Riken where we were educated about the Fugaku, and then we got lunch at the station. I love how the stations here are like fancy malls, its something I really appreciate about Japan, how you can just lollygag around while waiting for your train or waiting to meet up with friends. I spent my free time washing my hands with various fancy soaps at a fragrance store.  Personally, the highlight of my day was visiting Nunobiki Herb garden. I really love gardens and getting to visit one of Japan's largest Herb Gardens was really exciting for me. Our journey began with the Nunobiki Ropeway that gave a panoramic view of Kobe city, the ocean, and the surrounding lush greenery. The ropeway ride in itself was one of my favorite moments of the trip.  Once we got off we were...

Welcome to SS314: Language, Culture, & History

Welcome to our class blog for Language, Culture, & History! We are one of the classes in the study abroad Japan program, a partnership between Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Osaka Metropolitan University. During our five week summer course, we will collaboratively author this class blog to document our adventures in Osaka and across Japan. 

Day 24- Bastille

Day twenty four of our trip to this country half way around the world. Unfortunately it is almost time for us to leave it all behind. I’ve done most of the things I wanted to do but there are one or two goals I had that will not be possible due to time constraints. These will require a second visit. Today however, I did manage to accomplish one of the most highly anticipated items on my list- Explore the city of Tokyo. I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning, far too early if you ask me, and departed from shin Osaka to Tokyo station. This was not my first time in the city but it would be my first time wandering the streets and actually experiencing the city rather than just passing through. The group decided to break up for lunch after depositing our bags in the hotel. Most went back to the station to eat but I, being the enterprising sort, took to the streets. When I happened upon a rolling sushi location I was delighted. These places had proved to quick and cheap in the past so why...